Business Systems Manager
Business Systems Manager
Business Systems Manager
The Business Systems Manager is responsible for the development and operation of core business processes and systems supporting internal operations. The manager works with business partners to align processes and technology with business needs across the enterprise to ensure business critical systems, processes, management controls and reporting operate effectively. Demonstrates an in-depth knowledge of best practices in the delivery of business systems, management controls and internal audits to ensure operations meets the business needs of a regulated insurance advisory organization. The manager must be able to proactively identify, analyze and resolve problems on an ongoing basis. Serves as a project team member, leading cross functional teams working in an Agile environment. Directly interfaces with business leadership to clarify business needs, priorities, and strategies as well as technical staff to deliver operational systems according to service level requirements.
- Partner with business stakeholders, solutions architects and technology leads to establish a service roadmap for internal systems such as insurance product development and deployment, document management, administrative systems and business information systems,
- Gather, analyze and support the governance of technology and systems integration strategies for multiple functional business areas
- Act as a liaison and partner between technical and business functions, providing subject matter expertise on management controls, monitoring, reporting and response for the effective management of operations. Areas of responsibility include business continuity planning, quality assurance programs, and reporting on key business functions
- Collaborates with staff on the evaluation, recommendation, business readiness and implementation of technology solutions
- Lead working sessions with key business and technical team members to define business requirements and create artifacts focused on capabilities, features, user journeys, current and to be processes
- Serve as the Product Owner of operational services. Break down the requirements into features and user stories, prioritize and manage the implementation of new services through the AAIS Agile framework
- Collaborate with Product Managers, Product Owners and ScrumMasters in Big Room Planning, sprint planning and delivery scheduling. Assist in developing test cases, participate in testing and drive user acceptance testing (UAT) and operationalization of delivered solutions
- Hands-on development and configuration of policies, procedures, workflows, and approvals for operational systems
- Assist with training and change management efforts on implementation of new systems and enhancements
- Manage backlog grooming and prioritization of enhancements and user stores in partnership with business and IT stakeholders
- Partner with support teams to assist with identification and resolution of operational issues and support of existing applications and capabilities
- Work effectively with external partner teams developing & supporting solution development and implementation.
- Develop reporting on operational efficiency, work product quality and compliance with policies for presentation to leadership and the Board of Directors
- 5+ years of experience in enterprisewide operations with direct responsibility for the implementation of technical tools and solutions
- Minimum 7+ years of experience as a Business Systems Analyst or similar role
- Strong skills in meeting facilitation, design thinking experience a plus
- Experience with Scaled Agile initiative management
- Experience with business intelligence, analytical and reporting tools is a huge plus
- Strong written / verbal communication and presentation skills
- Demonstrated experience in consistently documenting and updating business documentation such as policies, procedures, business requirements, workflows and other artifacts that ensures best practices are understood and improved over time
- Excellent relationship and team building skills
How you’ll make an impact:
You will be a leader in cross-functional teams that will streamline the delivery of modern advisory solutions to the property and casualty insurance industry. Your contributions to building operational efficiency, work quality and regulatory compliance into all aspects of operations will support speed to market for our products.
You will own the discovery, definition, and implementation of enterprise software applications and software integrations in support of business objectives. You’ll design and maintain software configurations that optimize the enterprise and end-user needs to drive business value and user experience. In addition, you’ll refine our existing systems intake and management processes to maximize efficiency and outcomes.
Success looks like:
- In 30 days, develop cross-functional relationships and understand team process flows and their existing tool use
- In 60 days, outline policies, procedures, management controls and reporting for statistical reporting
- In 90 days, outline current state of systems and processes for Product Development, Member Engagement and Member Onboarding with recommendations for management controls and reporting
- In 120 days, map and manage a systems maintenance and enhancement roadmap
- Past 120 days, working with the teams, refine and improve the baseline documentation for statistical reporting, product development, member engagement and onboarding workflow, systems and technology solutions and reporting to maximize, improve operational efficiency including weekly, monthly and quarterly reporting on performance
- Management controls, reporting and action plans ensure that AAIS passes annual internal, regulatory and SOC II audits with good to excellent findings.
What you'll do:
- Collaborate with teams to understand their work flows and assess their needs to determine how best to align existing and new systems to support their work.
- Continuous review of processes and systems to proactively recommend improvements. Optimize, streamline and integrate various enterprise software applications to ensure that available software is being used efficiently and effectively to maximize productivity and compliance and improve work processes.
- In support of the above, define detailed business/functional requirements, process flow diagrams, and use cases. Drive the design, development, test and delivery of new technologies to ensure achievement of business objectives.
- Manage the intake of reported issues or enhancement requests, identifying technical root cause, and developing effective resolutions.
- Communication- adept at influencing, negotiating, and building rapport with people across teams, functions, cultures and levels including strong writing skills
- Proactivity- acts without being told what to do. Scans AAIS and the industry we serve to bring new ideas into the organization
- Business and Industry Continual Learning – continually learns about the AAIS business, our members, trends in the P&C insurance industry and technology to continually improve operations
- Creativity/ Innovation- generates new and innovative approaches to problems
- Critical Thinking – critically evaluates issues and the need for improvement; skillfully researches solutions bringing modern best practices in operations, management controls and agile work to the solution
- Honesty/Integrity-does not cut corners ethically. Earns trust and maintains confidence. Does what is right, not just what is expedient. Speaks plainly and truly
- Follow through on Commitments- lives up to written and verbal agreements and is viewed as a dependable member of agile teams