Business Data Analyst
Business Data Analyst
Business Data Analyst
The Business Data Analyst will work with insurance statistical data, internal business data and external data sources in support of regulatory reporting, internal operational functions and external services developed and operated through consortia such as openIDL. Our data analysts work in cross-functional teams to deliver products and services to key stakeholders; champion data governance, integration and use; and support a range of analysis and reporting efforts.
The Analyst will work in an agile, collaborative and cross-functional environment with data and software architects, software developers, actuaries, product developers, state regulators, Member Engagement Managers and Members. Core to this role is strong business and data analysis skills in order to understand the needs of key stakeholders, curiosity and ingenuity in how data can be accessed and used and the ability to apply best practices in data management, quality assurance and data operations to information management in a highly regulated business.
- Regulatory Reporting - Understand regulatory reporting regulations and requirements, data sources, quality assurance and reporting in the regulated insurance industry
- Data Management - Ensure all data and reporting is well managed, accurate and complete meeting business and regulatory deadlines
- Quality Assurance – Design and maintain data systems and databases to high quality standards including continuous, automated quality assurance, fixing coding errors and other data-related problems. Participate in peer review. Analyze data relationships to determine data quality and statistical validity. Participate in and comply with data governance standards
- Data Presentation – Analyze data from primary and secondary sources, reorganizing data into a format that can be easily read by either human or machine.
- Business Intelligence - Prepare reports for executive leadership that are accurate, timely and effectively communicate trends, patterns, and predictions using relevant data.
- Documentation – create and maintain appropriate documentation that allows stakeholders to understand the steps of the data analysis process and duplicate or replicate the analysis if necessary.
- Member Success – provide customer support to AAIS Members regarding the quality of their data submissions
- Collaborate with Actuarial for automation of actuarial analyses and to develop analytic products that provide real value to AAIS.
- Data Catalogue Collaborate with internal and external data customers to ensure that all data assets are properly organized, communicated and used throughout the organization.
- Provide support to the organization in analyzing and visualizing large, complex, and unique data sets.
What you will bring:
- Ability to quickly become conversant on AAIS’s data and industry position.
- Working knowledge of Property and Casualty Insurance products and statistical data.
- Experience with business intelligence tools and analytic concepts to transform raw data into useful information.
- Previous exposure to working with large structured and unstructured data sets, including statistical analyses and data visualization.
- Entrepreneurial inclination to discover novel opportunities for applying analytical techniques to business problems across the insurance industry.
- Intermediate to advanced skills in writing SQL queries and working with databases.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; must be capable of fully yet concisely articulating technical and data governance concepts to non-technical audiences.
- The ability to manage multiple priorities in parallel and meet agreed upon deadlines by communicating and adjusting workload and expectations in collaboration with the Director, Data Engineering.
- Problem Solving/Critical Thinking skills: making the best decisions possible given the data quality and time available.
- Strong analytical thinking and ability to quickly pick up new methods, tools and domain expertise.
- Strong collaboration and mentoring skills.
- BS in Business, Math, Computer Science or other data engineering related discipline.
- 7+ years full time experience in data analysis and SQL programming
- 3+ years property casualty insurance industry experience in an analytic or statistical capacity OR Master’s Degree in an analytic field.
- Exposure to, ongoing education and training in, and hands-on experience with Data Governance concepts and practice including analytic methods and tools.
- Demonstrable expertise in analytical models and leveraging data to make business decisions.
- Proficiency in the Microsoft Office Suite.
- A record of success and top-tier achievement in prior work and education experiences.
- Bonus points for hands-on Hadoop experience.
- IDMA credentials a plus.