Wheaton, Ill., Feb. 3, 2012--Inland marine insurance specialists have a unique opportunity to engage with their counterparts from other companies on an impending issue of critical importance to their operations.
The upcoming AAIS Main Event conference, April 15-17 in La Jolla, Calif., includes a separate inland marine track devoted to "Data-Driven Decisions: The Potential Use of Analytics in Inland Marine."
On Tuesday, April 17, this segment will address several timely questions for inland marine specialists who have seen decision analytics transform underwriting in other lines. Those questions include:
- How do you implement data-based decision-making in a line (inland marine) known for limited collection of data?
- How can inland marine specialists leverage analytics developed for other lines? Conversely, how unique are the needs of inland marine operations in this regard?
- How will inland marine sustain its profitability as a generation of underwriters steeped in specialized expertise is supplanted by younger ones trained to rely on data?
The speakers selected for this program include:
- Fritz Yohn, founder and chief executive of MarketStance. Fritz will describe the exposure growth outlook for inland marine and the range of data available for identifying viable market opportunities.
- John Lucker, principal with Deloitte Consulting LLP, who has many years of experience helping insurers develop analytics for commercial lines, including small business and building contractor accounts with inland marine exposures.
- Joseph Coray, vice president of The Hartford's marine and technology-life sciences practices. Joe will discuss the strategy behind The Hartford's initiative to develop analytics for motor truck cargo, and the resources needed to implement that strategy.
In addition, Robert Guevara, AAIS vice president of inland marine, will comment on AAIS initiatives to develop new rating refinements, as well as enhancements to AAIS inland marine programs.
The Main Event is a management conference devoted to product-related concerns of strategic importance to property/casualty insurers. Attendees include senior executives, department heads, and product specialists for primary P/C companies, plus representatives of reinsurers, software vendors, and other industry organizations.
The meeting is sponsored by the American Association of Insurance Services (AAIS), a national advisory and statistical organization that produces the Inland Marine Guide, a premier industry resource for the nonfiled classes, and the Commercial Output Program, a standard-setting program for output coverage.
Individuals signing up for the Main Event's inland marine track will also participate in a three-hour program on Monday morning, April 16, analyzing the implications of severe weather catastrophes of recent years. The speakers for that segment include:
- John Ferree, severe storm services leader for the National Weather service;
- Ryan Ogaard, senior vice president, model product management, RMS, Inc; and
- Andrew Castaldi, senior vice president and head of catastrophe perils for the Americas, Swiss Re.
For complete details on the AAIS Main Event, and to register, go to www.AAISonline.com.
If you have questions, contact Joseph Harrington, AAIS director of corporate communications, by our contact form or by calling 800-564-AAIS, ext. 217.